Tempur-Pedic International Inc., announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012. The Company also announced revised financial guidance for 2012.
THIRD QUARTER FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Earnings per diluted share (EPS) under U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) in the third quarter of 2012 were $(0.03), and reflect the tax provision recorded in connection with the anticipated repatriation of foreign earnings together with certain transaction costs related to the proposed Sealy acquisition. Adjusted EPS were $0.70 in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to GAAP EPS of $0.90 per diluted share in the third quarter of 2011.
- GAAP net loss in the third quarter of 2012 was $(2.0) million. The Company reported adjusted net income of $42.3 million for the third quarter of 2012 as compared to GAAP net income of $61.9 million in the third quarter of 2011. For additional information regarding adjusted EPS and adjusted net income (which are non-GAAP measures), please refer to the reconciliation and other information included in the attached schedule.
- Net sales decreased 9% to $347.9 million in the third quarter of 2012 from $383.1 million in the third quarter of 2011. On a constant currency basis, net sales decreased 7%. Net sales in the North American segment decreased 14% and International segment net sales increased 3%. On a constant currency basis, International segment net sales increased 11%.
- Mattress sales decreased 11% globally in the third quarter of 2012. Mattress sales decreased 15% in the North American segment and increased 1% in the International segment. On a constant currency basis, International mattress sales increased 10%. Pillow sales increased 11% globally. Pillow sales increased 5% in North America and increased 16% internationally. On a constant currency basis, International pillow sales increased 23%.
- Gross profit margin was 49.2% as compared to 52.4% in the third quarter of 2011. The gross profit margin decreased primarily as a result of product mix and increased promotions and discounts, offset partially by geographic mix.
- Operating income decreased 34% to $63.4 million, or 18.2% of sales as compared to $96.6 million, or 25.2% of sales in the third quarter of 2011 reflecting deleverage throughout the income statement driven by lower sales. Operating income in the third quarter of 2012 included $3.6 million of transaction costs related to the proposed Sealy acquisition, as well as a benefit of $8 million related to an adjustment to long-term incentive stock compensation following a re-evaluation of the probability of meeting certain related required financial metrics.
- The Company generated $67.2 million of operating cash flow as compared to $75.0 million in the third quarter of 2011.
Chief Executive Officer Mark Sarvary commented, "Changes in the competitive environment that we experienced during the second quarter in North America continued to have an adverse impact on our third quarter performance. We recently launched a broad series of new initiatives in response to the new competitive landscape in North America, and while it remains early, we are seeing some stabilization as a result. The initiatives are more expensive than we initially estimated, however we are committed to returning to growth. Internationally, our third quarter results reflect a softening in demand due to macroeconomic weakness in Europe. We remain very confident in our Company's growth potential and our strong brand, and are very excited about our proposed combination with Sealy Corporation. Together, Tempur and Sealy will have a portfolio of highly complementary brands, products, technologies, and geographic footprints that provides a platform for growth."
The Company is lowering its outlook for full year 2012 net sales to approximately $1.40 billion. In addition, the Company is lowering its full year 2012 earnings guidance. The Company currently expects 2012 adjusted EPS of approximately $2.55. The Company noted its expectations are based on information available at the time of this release, and are subject to changing conditions, many of which are outside the Company's control. The Company noted its adjusted EPS guidance does not include tax provisions expected to be recorded in the fourth quarter in connection with the decision to repatriate foreign earnings, transaction costs related to the proposed Sealy acquisition or any benefit from a potential further reduction in shares outstanding related to its share repurchase program. In addition, the Company's net sales and adjusted EPS guidance assumes that the Sealy transaction is not completed during 2012.
About the Company:
Tempur-Pedic International Inc. (NYSE: TPX) manufactures and distributes mattresses and pillows made from its proprietary TEMPUR® pressure-relieving material. It is the worldwide leader in premium and specialty sleep. The Company is focused on developing, manufacturing and marketing advanced sleep surfaces that help improve the quality of life for people around the world. The Company's products are currently sold in over 80 countries under the TEMPUR® and Tempur-Pedic® brand names. World headquarters for Tempur-Pedic International is in Lexington, KY. For more information, visit http://www.tempurpedic.com
or call 800-805-3635.
Furniture World Magazine-Business solutions for furniture retailers