IKEA, the leading home furnishings retailer, is celebrating the grand opening of its store in Bolingbrook, IL, the company's second store in the greater Chicagoland and 25th in the U.S., on Wednesday, September 28 at 9:00 a.m. The
310,000 square-foot IKEA Bolingbrook features 10,000
exclusively-designed home furnishings and accessories under one roof and employs approximately 400 co-workers. Visitors familiar with the unique octagonal shape and three levels of free-flow shopping at IKEA Schaumburg will find that IKEA Bolingbrook has an entirely different store design, which is consistent with the typical IKEA store design in the U.S.
"In addition to offering our customers innovative and well-designed home furnishings at low prices, IKEA is all about being a good neighbor," explained Hansi Sporl, store manager, IKEA Bolingbrook. "We are excited to be bringing the IKEA shopping experience closer to many of our customers while also having the opportunity to introduce IKEA to new customers in Chicagoland and beyond."
As a symbol of "new beginnings," Pernille Lopez, president of IKEA North America will join IKEA Bolingbrook store manager Hansi Sporl in a traditional Swedish log-sawing ceremony that will take place just before IKEA Bolingbrook officially opens at 9:00 a.m. on September 28.
The Honorable Mayor Roger C. Claar will also participate in the ceremony.
Grand Opening Celebration Fun at IKEA Bolingbrook and IKEA Schaumburg
-The Early Birds Gets the IKEA Gift Card and Benefit a Worthy Cause. The first three people in line at IKEA Bolingbrook and the first three people in line at IKEA Schaumburg on September 28 at 9:00 a.m. will receive IKEA Gift Cards: $3,000 (first); $2,000 (second); and $1,000 (third). IKEA Bolingbrook will match the total amount awarded in IKEA Gift Cards with a $12,000 donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina. This initiative is in addition to the national IKEA "Give a Hug" campaign -- for the month of September every dollar from the sales of the IKEA FAMNIG heart-shaped cushion will directly benefit the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. IKEA is also planning a long-term support program with the donation of $1 million of home furnishings to help Hurricane Katrina victims as they rebuild their lives.
- Take a Seat (And We Mean Take It!) - The first 100 adults in line at IKEA Bolingbrook and IKEA Schaumburg when the stores open at 9:00 a.m. on September 28 will receive a free POANG armchair.
- For the (Truly) Young at Heart - The first 100 children (under 18) in line at IKEA Bolingbrook and IKEA Schaumburg when the stores open at 9:00 a.m. on September 28 will receive a free FAMNIG heart-shaped pillow.
- A Chance for Meatballs, a Makeover or a Shopping Spree - All visitors to IKEA Bolingbrook and IKEA Schaumburg from September 28 through October 2 can enter a drawing for the chance to win: $10,000 in IKEA Gift Cards to make over their home (one winner will be selected); a 10-minute "Blue Bag Shopping Spree" (10 winners will be selected); an IKEA Swedish Meatball club t-shirt entitling winners to one free meatball platter per visit to IKEA Schaumburg or IKEA Bolingbrook while wearing t-shirt (10 winners will be selected).
- You Say It's Your Birthday - Bring proof to IKEA Schaumburg or IKEA Bolingbrook that it is your birthday on September 28, and receive a $10 IKEA Gift Card.
- Super Restaurant Specials - On September 29 and 30, visitors to IKEA Schaumburg and IKEA Bolingbrook will receive 15% off purchases in the Restaurant from 11 a.m. until closing (does not apply to the 99 cent breakfast or Cafe Bistro and Swedish Foodmarket items).
IKEA Bolingbrook at a Glance
- Low prices for well-designed furnishings through the IKEA concept that relies on a partnership with customers to choose, transport and assemble their purchases.
- 50 inspirational room-setting displays.
- Four complete model homes that represent a variety of living situations with creative design ideas that can be brought to life in any room in the home.
- 10,000 exclusively-designed home furnishings ranging from beds, bookcases, desks and sofas to cookware, textiles, pet products and kitchens, complete with cabinetry and appliances.
- A guarantee for material quality and workmanship as part of the IKEA commitment to quality design at affordable prices.
- Same-day shopping satisfaction with products in easy-to-take-home flat-box packaging that also creates less "wasted space" in shipping products, greatly reducing costs, storage needs, and potential for damage.
IKEA Bolingbrook is a Fun Day Out for the Family with...
- Smaland, a supervised children's play area that replicates the look of a typical Swedish farmhouse and forest (for children who meet the 37"-54" height requirement).
- A 'Children's IKEA' area in the Showroom that also offers some fun interactive play.
- Attention-to-detail conveniences such as: strollers, child-height handrails, baby care rooms and a private, comfortable room for nursing moms.
No Need to Shop on an Empty Stomach at IKEA Bolingbrook...
- The 300-seat IKEA Restaurant offers breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The IKEA Restaurant's diverse menu selection includes a variety of traditional Swedish specialties including the popular IKEA Swedish meatballs, shrimp sandwiches, salmon platters, and American dishes such as pasta, chicken, and a vegetarian option.
- Just for kids menu choices include: a child's portion of Swedish meatballs or macaroni and cheese, and organic baby food, bottle warmers and bibs are available for younger visitors.
- A Cafe Bistro near the store's exit serves hot dogs, cinnamon buns, frozen yogurt and beverages.
- The Swedish Foodmarket offers Swedish delicacies, treats, and even frozen IKEA Swedish meatballs for customers to prepare at home.
IKEA Bolingbrook Shopping Conveniences...
- Approximately 1,300 total parking spaces, including 20 easily accessible handicap parking spaces, 29 family-parking spaces and 23 loading parking spaces (to easily load purchases into car).
- 17 regular checkout lanes, 8 self-checkout lanes and 5 mobile handheld cash registers to expedite purchases.
- Measuring tape, pencils, shopping guides, big yellow shopping bags, and two types of shopping carts are available.
- Home-delivery is available and starts at $89.
- Easy to follow directional signs and price tags with product information in English and Spanish.
IKEA currently has more than 220 stores in 33 countries around the globe. In the U.S., IKEA aims to open five new stores a year. Other U.S. stores being planned will be located in: Brooklyn, NY; Canton, MI; Dublin, CA; Round Rock, TX; Somerville, MA; Stoughton, MA; and West Sacramento, CA. IKEA, the leading home furnishings retailer founded in 1943, offers a wide range of home furnishings and
accessories of good design and function, at prices so low that the majority of the people can afford them. IKEA has been ranked in FORTUNE's annual "100 Best Companies to Work For" List, Working Mother magazine's annual list of "100 Best Companies for Working Mothers" (three years in a row) and Training magazine's annual "Top 100" ranking of companies that excel at human capital development (three years in a row). IKEA supports responsible business practices and innovative initiatives that help protect the environment and the future for children around the world. To visit the IKEA Web site, go to http://www.IKEA-usa.com.
Furniture World Magazine-Business solutions for furniture retailers